Saturday, October 6, 2012

Linked In Profile

Just here recently, I lost my job. Before that, I would not have given Linked In a second look. In fact, I just typed up some invaluable information about myself and posted it in an effort to connect with the community, as my previous employer attempted to beef up its social media efforts. I realized some of the people in my network belonged in these groups that I saw on the right side of the screen or below their name but I did not understand its value. As I clicked on the group, I came to understand that 1) the network was strengthened with like-minded professionals, 2) it was an easier method to contact people within the group with specific tasks or action items in mind. For instance, An engineer who was a part of an engineer’s association, took the time to post job opportunities to just that group versus bombarding his whole network which obviously varied in professional backgrounds . Now the pro’s and cons of Linked In vary and although, I am aware of the fact that I would be reasserting the obvious which includes concerns over privacy and identity theft. Linked In has been reputable and a way for employers to see the backgrounds of people; which is a con for someone like me, who refused at one point to give the social media site any credence. A potential employer could assume based on what I have posted on Linked In, that I am not involved with much. So that is an unintentional consequence against me, now the pro is really for those who are social media maniacs. How many times does one have to fill out similar applications, over, and over, and over, and over again before someone enterprises the bright idea of one application fits all? Sort of like a Texas Common Application for collegiate students, and then send a resume with background details specific to the particular position. Well, as I have come to learn, Linked In is as good as it gets. I just do not trust that methodology because one thing I do know is that people can be judgmental and petty. I am always afraid that someone who I am linked with or to (no pun intended) may have burned a bridge with a potential employer or contact and then as they say, birds of a feather flock together – then I am labeled and judged. That is definitely where the tide gets a bit tricky. I understand that people are in the mode to get their information in the form of job applications out there, especially in these trying times. It seems the old fashioned way of applying for potential job opportunities has become antiquated.

No comments:

Post a Comment